Phosphatidylcholine (PC) is one of the most important nutrients required for optimal health. It is the basic building block of the membranes of every cell in the body. Without PC, cells age faster and do not function at their best, affecting many aspects of our health.
Phosphatidylcholine is found in nuts, seeds, dandelion greens, and egg yolks: foods we consume too little of to get an optimal intake of PC. Therefore, most adults do not obtain enough of this valuable nutrient through diet alone.
Research shows that supplemental phosphatidylcholine, which is derived from lecithin, is highly bioavailable, as it is nearly 90% absorbed by the body. Enzymes from the pancreas easily breakdown phosphatidylcholine into free fatty acids that are absorbed by the cells of the intestine, making supplemental phosphatidylcholine an easy way to increase PC in the body.
THE LIVER NUTRIENT
Phosphatidylcholine is an important nutrient for promoting liver health, assisting with nutrient assimilation, hormone balancing, and toxin elimination. PC helps to protect the liver against the toxins it may encounter from pollutants, viruses, medications, mushroom poisoning, and radiation treatment.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS OF PHOSPHATIDYLCHOLINE
• Helps support the aging process by maintaining healthy cell membranes
• Encourages healthy fat metabolism by properly breaking down fat
• Promotes healthy cholesterol levels.
• Helps support healthy estrogen levels by helping the liver to convert estradiol to estriol, a safer form of estrogen. In this way, PC is helpful for supporting proper hormone balance in women.
• Helps maintain healthy levels of homocysteine, a compound that can affect blood vessels at elevated levels.
• May support a normal blood pressure
• May support healthy blood sugar levels by enhancing cells sensitivity to the hormone insulin
• Phosphatidylcholine helps the brain make acetylcholine, one its most important chemical messengers
• Acetylcholine travels between nerve cells, creating and calling up memories. Therefore, PC can help maintain healthy brain function as we age.
PURE PC MAY BE BENEFICIAL FOR
• Maintaining general health
• Liver health and function
• Healthy aging
• Fat digestion
• Supporting healthy cholesterol levels
• Promoting balanced hormones
• Brain health and function
WHAT ARE LIPOSOMES?
Liposomes are spheres made of phospholipids—the same primary building blocks of cell membranes. Owing to this structure, liposomes bond easily with cell membranes to deliver their nutrient cargo (in this case, phosphatidylcholine). Liposomes are extremely tiny particles, which allows for fast absorption in the body, starting in the mouth.
Pure PC is best taken with a meal and with other supplements as it increases the absorption of all nutrients.